Hypopharyngeal Leishmaniasis: a case report and literature review
Background: Leishmaniasis is classified into three clinical patterns: visceral, cutaneous and mucocutaneous.The latter are sporadically reported in Sudan and may not accompany the visceral type. Laryngeal symptoms including dysphagia may mimic oesophageal malignancy. Early detection and proper diagnosis were of great help in the cure and prognosis of the disease.
Case report: We reported a case of primary isolated (the nasal mucosa was not involved) hypopharyngeal Leishmaniasis in an immunocompetent Sudanese patient presenting with dysphonia, odynophagia, and progressive dysphagia.
Conclusion: Leishmaniasis should be suspected in all patients presenting with hypopharyngeal symptoms especially in those coming from endemic areas
2. Naik SR, Vinayak VK, Talwar P, Sehgal S, Mehra YN, Dutta BN, ChhuttaniPN.visceral leishmaniasis masquerading as a nasopharyngeal tumor.Report of a case.Trans.R.Soc.trop.Med.Hyg.1978.72.43-45.
3. Abdalla.R.E..Parasites in Sudanese cutaneous and mucosal Leishmaniasis.Ann.trop.Med.Parasit.1982,76,299-307.
4. Goto H, LindosoJA.”Current diagnosis and treatment of cutaneous and mucocutaneous leishmaniasis", Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy,vol.8,no.4,pp419-433,2010.
5. World Health Organization (WHO) The Leishmaniases: report of a WHO Expert Committee Geneva, 1984. (Technical Report Series; 701).
6. el-Hassan AM, Zijlstra EE..Leishmaniasis in Sudan.mucosal leishmaniasis.Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg2001,95(Suppl 1): S19-S26.
7. .Kamal A, Mustafa Mayson M, Shaza A, et al.Mucosal Leishmaniasis in a Sudanese Patient: Case Report.Am.J.Trop.Med.Hyg.,80(6),2009.935-938.
8. Ibrahim M, Suliman A, Hashim FA, Khalil el-T A, Evans DA, Kharazmi A, el Hassan AM.OronasalLeishmaniasis caused by a parasite with an unusual isoenzyme profile.Am J Trop Med Hyg56:96-98.
9. Abdelhamid MM, Elamin E, Melvill SE, Ibrahim M. Sudanese mucosal Leishmaniasis: isolation of a parasite within the Leishmaniadonovani complex that differs genotypically from L donovani causing classical visceral leishmaniasis.Infect Genet Evol,2005;5:29-33.
10. StrazzulaAlessio, CocuzzaSalvatore, Pinzone Maria Rita et al. Isolated Laryngeal Leishmaniasis in a 55-years old man with dysphonia and Rheumatoid Arthritis: Case Report and Literature Rewiew.Acta Medica Mediterranea,2013,29:807-810.
11. Sudan National AIDS Program(SNAP), Situation Analysis, Behavioural and Epidemiological Surveys and Response Analysis, FMOH SNAP,2002.
12. Evans TG. Leishmaniasis.Infec Dis Clin North Am,1993;7:527-546.