Naso-Maxillary extramedullary plasmacytoma: A case report
We report an early case of extramedullary, right maxillary sinus and nasal, plasmacytoma. The patient was a 27 years old female who presented with nasal bleeding and a nasal mass. Imaging studies showed opacities in the nasal cavity and the maxillary sinus but there was no bone involvement. A biopsy from the nasal mass showed a plasmacytoma. She was investigated to rule out systemic disease. The investigations included; serum electrophoresis, urine analysis for Bence Jones proteins, bone marrow aspirates study and radiological skeletal survey. The results of all investigations were negative. After complete excision of the tumour endoscopically the patient was treated with adjuvant radiotherapy. She remained well, without recurrence or spread of the tumour at 4 years follow up. CTscans pre and postoperatively as well as H&E and Immunohistochemistry slides are presented. To our knowledge, this is the first case to be reported in Sudan.
2. Corwin J, Lindberg RD. Solitary plasmacytoma of bone vs. extramedullary plasmacytoma and their relationship to multiple myeloma. Cancer Mar 1979; 43(3): 1007-13.
3. McLain RF, Weinstein JN. Solitary plasmacytomas of the spine: a review of 84 cases. J Spinal Disord. Jun 1989;2(2):69-74.
4. Webb HE, Harrison EG, Masson JK, Remine WH. Solitary extramedullary myeloma (plasmacytoma) of the upper part of the respiratory tract and oropharynx. Cancer 1962;15:1142-55.
5. Alexiou C, Kau RJ, Dietzfelbinger H, et al. Extramedullary plasmacytoma: Tumor occurrence and therapeutic concepts. Cancer 1999;85:2305-14.
6. Kapadia SB, Desai U, Cheng VS. Extramedullary plasmacytoma of the head and neck. A clinicopathologic study of 20 cases. Medicine 1982;61:317-29.
7. Galieni P, Cavo M, Pulsoni A, et al. Clinical outcome of extramedullary plasmacytoma. Haematologica. Jan 2000;85:47-51.
8. 8.Fu YS, Perzin KH. Nonepithelial tumors of the nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses and nasopharynx. A clinicopathologic study. IX. Plasmacytomas. Cancer 1978;42:2399-2406.
9. Megat Shiraz M A R, Jong Y H, Primuharsa Putra S H A. Extramedullary plasmacytoma in the maxillary sinus: Singapore Med J 2008; 49:310-311.8.
10. A. Jaswal, G. Biswas, B. Sikder, A. Das, T. Nandi. Extramedullary plasmacytoma of maxillary sinus in 10-year-old girl: A rare presentation:International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Extra September 2008;4: 143-146.
11. Holland J, Trenker DA, Wasserman TH, Fineberg B. Plasmacytoma. Treatment results and conversion to myeloma. Cancer 1992;69: 1513-17.
12. Hu K, Yahalom J. Radiotherapy in the management of plasma cell tumors. Oncology 2000;14: 111-115.
13. Windfuhr JP, Ott G. Extramedullary plasmacytoma manifesting as a palpable mass in the nasal cavity. Ear Nose Throat J 2002;81: 110-14.
14. Straetmans J and Stokroos R. Extramedullary plasmacytomas in the head and neck region:European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology 2008;265:, 1417-1423.