Mucocele of the Appendix: Two Case Reports
Introduction:Appendiceal mucocele is a rare condition which was described as an obstructive dilatation of the appendix caused by intraluminal accumulation of mucoid material.
Case Reports: We present a case of 26 years old male who came for elective appendectomy which intraoperatively found to have mucocele of appendix which was treated successfully by appendicectomy. The second case was a 55 years female who presented with a right iliac fossa mass with mesenteric lymph nodes enlargement ,underwent right hemicolectomy and the histopathological report showed mucinous cystadenoma of the appendix.
Conclusion: In conclusion, appendiceal mucocele is a rare disease and has a clinical presentation that resembles acute appendicitis or RIF Tumour.
2. Marudanayagam R, Williams GT, Rees BI. Review of the pathological results of 2660 appendectomy specimens. J Gastroenterol 2006; 41(8):745–749.
3. Ruiz-Tovar J, Teruel DG, Gastineires VM, Dehesa AS, Quindos PL, Molina EM. Mucocele of the appendix. World J Surg 2007; 31(3):542–548.
4. Smeenk RM, van Velthuysen ML, Verwaal VJ, Zoetmulder FA. Appendiceal neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei: a population-based study. Eur J Surg Oncol 2008; 34(2):196–201.
5. Jay V: The legacy of Karl Rokitansky. Arch Pathol Lab Med 124, 345–346 (2000).
6. Balint I, M Nad ,A KIRALY ,O BALI ,A RASHED ,L VIZSY. Giant appendix or an appendiceal mucocele? Case report of an 11-year-old child. Interventional Medicine & Applied Science, 2014. 6 (4): 187–190.
7. B S Rich, S. Roychoudhury, A K. Williamson, R D. Glick. Pediatric mucinous neoplasm of the appendix presenting as a mucocele: A case report and review of the literature, Journal of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports, 2017(17):11-14.
8. Aho AJ, Heinonen R, Lauren P. Benign and malignant mucocele of the appendix. Histological types and prognosis. Acta Chir Scand 1973; 139(4): 392-400.
9. Pai RK, Beck AH, Norton JA, Longacre TA. Appendiceal mucinous neoplasms clinicopathologic study of 116 cases with analysis of factors predicting recurrence. Am J Surg Pathol 2009; 33(10):1425-39.
10. Alemayehu H, Snyder CL, St Peter SD, Ostlie DJ. Incidence and outcomes of unexpected pathology findings after appendectomy. J Pediatr Surg 2014; 49: 1390-3.
11. J. Rosai, “Tumours of the gastrointestinal tract appendix,” in Rosai and Ackerman’s Surgical Pathology, pp. 757–775, Mosby, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 9th edition, 2004.
12. E. Higa, J. Rosai, C. A. Pizzimbono, and L. Wise, “Mucosal hyperplasia, mucinous cystadenoma, and mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix. A reevaluation of appendiceal ‘mucocele’,” Cancer1973; 32(6): 1525–1541.
13. A. H. Qizilbash, “Mucoceles of the appendix.Their relationship to hyperplastic polyps, mucinous cystadenomas, and cystadenocarcinomas,” Archives of pathology 1975; 99(10): 548– 555.
14. H. S. Cooper, “Intestinal neoplasms,” in Sternberg’s Diagnostic Surgical Pathology, S. E. Mills, D. Carter, J. K. Greenson, V. E.Reuter, andM.H.Stoler, Eds., chapter 34,pp. 1368–1431,WoltersKluwer/LippincottWilliams &Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2004.
15. D. K. Driman, D. E. Melega, G. A. Vilos, and E. A. Plewes, “Mucocele of the appendix secondary to endometriosis: report of two cases, one with localized pseudomyxoma peritonei,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology 2000; 113(6): 860– 864.
16. J. G. D. A. Filho and E. F. D. Lira, “Mucocele of the appendix: appendectomy or colectomy?” Journal of Coloproctology 2011; 31(3): 276–284.
17. Z . Demetrashvil et al . Mucocele of the Appendix: Case Report and Review of Literature. Int Surg 2012; 97:266–269.